Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Friday, January 27, 2012

Vindication, Abraham Dies, David Dies, Jesus on Humility.

Psalm 26
Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. So I'm thinking the context here is that someone has falsely accused David, and instead of defending himself, David is asking the LORD to defend him. That is some wise counsel. Linc, you don't need to defend yourself, let God do it. And then take the vow of v.11, But as for me, I shall walk in integrity; redeem me and be gracious to me.
Then the psalm closes with a vow to worship the Lord. 

Genesis 25.1-18
Interesting, Abraham takes a 2nd wife. Lives 175 years. Ishmael and Isaac are brought together by the death of their father. I think Abraham would have liked that. So is Ishmael the father of the Persians?? Is Esau the father of the Arabs?? Anybody know?


1 Chronicles 29.22-30
Here we are at the end of our first book. David dies at a good age, full of days, riches and honor. Sounds great! It sounds like Solomon is firmly established on the throne. This 2nd coronation was David trying to make the road ahead for Solomon easier - trying to defuse future challenges to Solomon's right to rule. David was really thinking ahead, regarding the Lord's house, and his descendants' rule. But in the end it wasn't David who made Solomon great, but the Lord - see v.25.
What am I doing now to prepare my children to serve the Lord after I am dead and in heaven? How about you?


Luke 18.1-30
Jesus is looking for a few humble men. The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector is a classic. The tax collector can't even lift up his eyes to heaven. Wow! What sin would you confess in light of this parable?
Then there is Jesus calling his disciples to receive the kingdom of God like a child. And then you've got the ruler who tells Jesus He's kept all the commandments - humility needed here! What keeps you humble??

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the tax collector needed to council the Pharisee and the Ruler. It is interesting that the Pharisee and the ruler are in such high and influential positions and yet it is the tax collector that makes a difference and is life's up as an example for all of us. -AJ

    ReplyDelete