Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rejoicing, Laughing, Singing, and Healing

Psalm 21
Did you see the structure in this Psalm? Blessings in the first half and curses in the second. Then at the end a statement of praise. Which is your favorite blessing? I want v.6 - You make Him glad with the joy of his presence. I encourage you to pray, Lord, make me glad with the joy of your presence!
I shared v.13 with Pastor Gordy this morning prior to worship - Be exalted, O LORD, in your strength! We will sing and praise your power. Pastor Gordy and worship team, thank you for leading us as we sing and praise the power of God!

Genesis 21.1-21
It was okay for Sarah to laugh at the birth of Isaac, but not for Ishmael, Hagar's son. Sarah is certainly at fault her. Her solution to bareness was giving Hagar to Abraham. A child resulted and now Sarah will have none of it, or him. Sarah, we reap what we sow!
Note the Lord's promise, for through Isaac shall your offspring be named.
What is the great nation that resulted from Ishmael? I assume these were the seed nations to those nations who are so hostile to Israel today.

1 Chronicles 25
David organizes the musicians who will serve in the house of the LORD. For a guy who didn't actually build the house of the LORD, David sure got things ready to do just that. What a great encouragement to those who begin a work for the glory of God but they don't know if they will live to see the end result. Faithfulness is the key, not living to see the day.
Makes me think of Moses. Moses dying before the Israelites entered the Promised Land certainly didn't diminish Moses contribution to seeing them prepared to enter it. Prayer: Lord, give me projects to invest my resources in that are bigger than myself, or even my lifespan, for the Kingdom's sake. What a privilege just to play a part! Amen

Luke 13.10-35
Jesus heals a woman with a disabling spirit on the Sabbath and the opposition goes nuts! Jesus is like, You hypocrites, you love your donkeys and your oxen, and you couldn't care less about this daughter of Abraham suffering bound for 18 years. These guys should have been doing cartwheels of celebration, but no. Jesus puts them to shame, the people rejoice and the woman glorifies God. Here is a good text for healing ministries - who is getting the glory in those ministries, the minister or the Lord?
That makes me think. I haven't heard a lot from or about some of the those well known Word of Faith Healers like I did some 10 years ago. How about you?
Anyway, I praise God He still heals today, and everyday! He is the great physician, and the great exorcist! Glorify Him!

2 comments:

  1. In Luke 13:31 a Pharisee came to Jesus and told him herod was looking to kill him. Why was the Pharisee concerned about Jesus I thought the Pharisees wanted Jesus dead? -AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch! You're right, I think they were trying to put the scare in Jesus, the fear of Herod into him. Maybe shut Jesus up and make him run. Jesus doesn't scare.- Pastor Lincoln

    ReplyDelete