Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Friday, January 13, 2012

Don't Touch That Ark - OOPS! Too Late.

Psalm 12
Boy does this Psalm start off depressing: Save, O LORD, for the godly one is gone; for the faithful have vanished from among the children of man. See the contrast between our words and the Lords words in v.6.  The Lord's words are pure words. Reminds me of Proverbs 30.5. Hear the warning at the end - On every side the wicked prowl, as vileness is exalted among the children of man. Where do you see vileness exalted among the children of man?

Genesis 13
Abraham and Lot go their own way. Lot is moving toward Sodom and Gomorrah - we know that's not going to end well. More promises to Abraham. Offspring like the dust. Abraham did you begin to fathom God's great promise? Do we have an inkling of how God's great promises will be realized for us?


1 Chronicles 13
Uzzah puts his hand on the ark to keep it from coming off the cart and is struck down. Wow, this seems harsh. Could it be Gods' judgment for blowing off the instructions for how the ark should be moved - with poles by Levites. David seems to be looking for a shortcut to God's blessings. Now Obed-edom is receiving the blessings of the Lord hoped for by David. What do you think are the lessons for us here? What does it say about how we should approach God? Do you think George Lucas read this prior to writing the script for the 1st Indiana Jones movie - Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Luke 8.4-21
What an announcement by Jesus - Luke 8.21 - My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it. My relationship to Jesus is not via blood relation, but I have a relationship with Jesus if I am hearing his word and doing it. I can't say I am a believer while I'm blowing of his commandments. Here's a big one - Can I say I'm a believer if I am forsaking the fellowship of believers, Heb 10.24-25, i.e. not going to church? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Going to church doesn't make you a believer and not going to church doesn't mean you are not a believer. BUT if you are a true believe you should crave that fellowship with other believers. Here in America we have no excuse not to be at church. We have the freedom of religion unlike many countries yet we take this privilege for granite instead of taking advantage of this gift. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a hunger to be with the body of Christ is an evidence of our relationship with Christ. We say baptism doesn't make one a believer, but believers get baptized because they desire to be obedient to God's word. In the same way going to church doesn't make one a believer, but as you observe, the believer will want to be at church. Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete