Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Friday, January 6, 2012

Sons of God and Daughters of Men; Jesus' Baptism

Psalm 5
All right you night people, here it is in Ps 5.3, in the morning you hear my voice. So set your alarms, we need to meet with the Lord in the morning, giving Him the first moments of our day. What do you think? I know, I'm not awake in the morning either, but it's hard to ignore all the examples in Scripture of people meeting the Lord in the morning. Even the Lord met the Lord in the morning - Jesus getting up early to pray. How does the morning work for you?
Other standout lines in this Psalm for me include v.4 God does not delight in wickedness. This one strikes me because I'm a gamer, and I think about these games out there. I don't play them, these ones that delight in wickedness, but really their focus is delighting in wickedness, embracing the observation and pseudo participation of wicked behavior as entertainment in many of these games.
God does not delight in wickedness. How about many of the movies that feature violence, often done by the hero? Am I delighting in that by viewing it as entertainment? Philippians 4 comes to mind and the verse that tells me to set my mind on whatever is excellent and praiseworthy.
I also appreciate v.8 - make your ways straight before me Lord. Here the idea of straight paths involves deliverance from enemies, a little different than how I have thought about God making straight paths for me according to Proverbs 3.5-6.

Genesis 6
Yes, this is that passage with the Sons of God taking for wives the daughters of men. There's no little debate surrounding this passage - are the Sons of God angels/demons? Are they wicked kings and rulers? Or are they descendents of Seth's godly line, intermarrying with Cain's descendants? I do not know, but lean toward the latter, given how the focus of the chapter is on how evil all men have become, resulting in God sending the flood.
Noah - a righteous man, blameless in his generation, walking with God - What a description! Recalls Adam and Enoch, both described as walking with God.
Interesting that this reading with the ark, falls on the same day as description of Jesus' baptism in Luke 3, with ark like image at Jesus baptism - the dove, the water, Jesus an ark for believers, who in Christ are sheltered from God's judgment, like Noah saved from the Flood via the ark. What do you think - is the connection a stretch??

1 Chronicles 6
Descendants of Levi. Lots more names. Cities were given to the Levites since the tribe had no official territory like other tribes.   Interesting phrase in  v.31, the men who David put in charge of the service of song in the house of the Lord. I think they took their choirs very seriously.

Luke 3.1-22
The first paragraph of this chapter is so Luke, and reminds me of the first paragraph of the 2nd chapter. Luke is a historian and he is telling us these real events surrounding the life of Jesus, took place at a real time in history, in real places, and involved real people. The gospel is no fairy tale.
How do we get ready for the Lord to work in our lives? - We repent of our sin. We seek his forgiveness, and in comes the Lord - v.3.
Note people don't like to be called to repentance - Herod throws John in prison for doing so.
Jesus will baptize with Holy Spirit and fire v.16. I heard a sermon last Sunday on the ministry of the Holy Spirit as traced through the gospel of Luke. How can I know I have the Holy Spirit? If I turn from sin and turn to Jesus I know I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit.  From 1 John 3.23-24: And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.
Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12.3, Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.
If I say Jesus is Lord, if I love Jesus, it seems the Spirit must be alive in me.
The Baptism of Jesus with all three person of the Trinity present, Father, Son, Spirit. Spirit descends on Jesus. If I'm in Christ, the Spirit has descended on me, I have power to walk in His ways! Wahoo!

You Tell Me What You Think
About meeting God in the morning, the identity of the Sons of God in Genesis, the Baptism of Jesus, the presence of the Holy Spirit in the Believer? How is God encouraging you in these passages?

No comments:

Post a Comment