Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Into Your Hands Psalm, Jacob's Ladder, Ark Moved

Psalm 31
This is the Psalm Jesus quotes, His last words on the cross. Into your hand I commit my spirit. David was praying for deliverance from enemies when he prayed this. Jesus was also praying for deliverance, trusting that God would save him, even from death. It is definitely a prayer of faith. Note how many times in this Psalm David declares he trusts the Lord.
Here's a great promise in v.19 -
Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you
and worked for those who take refuge in you,
in the sight of the children of mankind!
 What is the great encouragement for you in v.24? -    
Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
        all you who wait for the LORD!

Genesis 28.10-22
I can imagine Jacob being fearful about all that was ahead, leaving home, perhaps for the first time, he's just lost his father, his brother wants to kill him. How gracious of God to meet him in this place and extend to him the covenant He made with Abraham and Isaac.To hear from the Lord in this moment that Behold I am with you and will keep you wherever you go. What a promise. 
We have that same promise in Christ and it seems to me our response to that promise should be like Jacob's - Worship the LORD - Commit our lives to Him, a commitment that will cost us in tangible ways.
Have you made this commitment to the Lord yourself???

2  Chronicles 5
Big day - the Ark is moved to the temple. Then God shows up in a big way with the cloud. This is the cloud that indicated his presence with Israel during the Exodus. Note editor insertion about the poles in v.10 - And they are there to this day. Does this mean the poles were there in the rebuilt temple at the time of this book being written, i.e. restoration period. Does this mean the poles are all that's left? Has the Ark been destroyed?
I thought there was other stuff in the ark - Aaron's staff and a jar of manna???
A truth to believe - For he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Luke 22.1-46
Wow, Luke is picking up the pace as we move toward the cross. So much happens in these 46 verses - Judas makes his deal; Jesus institutes the Lord's Supper; Jesus predicts Peter's denial; Jesus praying at Gethsemane. How weak are we as seen in the actions of the men in these chapters. We need a savior. 
I love, I mean I really love v.32. Jesus telling Peter He prays for him, that his faith might not fail, and then commissions him, that when Peter turns again, back to Christ, he will strengthen his brothers. 
Jesus is praying for you, believer, that your faith will not fail. He prays for your restoration from sin, and he calls you to strengthen fellow strugglers. Who could you strengthen even today?? You can do it! Jesus is praying for you!!

Are you seeing the fruits of being in God's Word after a whole month of reading through the Bible? Tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment