Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Friday, February 3, 2012

Praise Befits the Upright, Some Crazy Breeding Programs

Psalm 33
Praise befits the upright. What does that mean? I think it's saying we should be praising the Lord; from the mouths of righteous people we should be hearing expressions of praise, and thanksgiving to God. How is that going for you? Can you stop right now and praise God. Use the words of this very psalm to help you.
V.12, Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD - oh if this was true for you America. See v.16, our great strength can not deliver us. He delivers those who fear Him and hope in Him.
Psalm 33.20-22 would be a great memory verse. I dare you to memorize it.

Genesis 29.31-30.43
What kind of contest is this? I'm just seeing this for the first time, Leah and Rachel's son breeding program laid along side Jacob's sheep breeding program.
Rachel demanding from Jacob give me children or I will die. Poor Jacob. Is it his fault? Maybe it is. He certainly doesn't seem to be providing godly leadership. He lets his wives buy and sell him, and lays with their servant girls. What a strange way to launch a nation.
Do you get the whole sheep breeding program? What is it about the the pealed sticks that causes the speckled sheep? Any ranchers out there to explain this one?

2 Chronicles 7
We are here. We have come to the one chapter in the two books of Chronicles that most of us know a verse contained within. I'm talking about 2 Chronicles 7.14. What I'm observing in this passage is two recipes, one for restoration and one for disaster. Of course the recipe for restoration comes from our v.14 - humble themselves, pray, seek My face and turn from their wicked ways - and what results? God will hear, forgive and heal.
Check out recipe for disaster in v.19 - turn aside, forsake the Lord's commands, go and serve other gods and worship them - and what results? God will pluck, cast away, and make us an object of ridicule.
Pray for the restoration of our nation and that we might be spared the disaster. These prayers definitely apply on a personal level as well. Can you see how?

Luke 23.26-56
I recently preached these verses, the first sermon on the crucifixion and the second on the death of Jesus. The conversation among the three dying men still awes me. What a picture of the two responses to the gospel, to disdain Jesus, or plead with Him for mercy. The Lord's statement to the second criminal, Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise. It's one of the most fantastic statements in all of Scripture, so loaded with meaning. I encourage you to go to poulsbocc.com and download that message.
What most impresses you about the crucifixion account here? How about His death?
Jesus loves you! Love Him back!

1 comment:

  1. I think the picture of Jesus seeking just one more for His kingdom with his dying breath is just an incredible microcosm of the utter depth and breadth of His love for us. In the midst of unimaginable agony just to take one breath, He comforts and calls one of Hus sheep. Completely, utterly Jesus. There is no one like Him.

    ReplyDelete