Welcome to Read the Bible 2012!

In order to encourage you in your own Read the Bible in 2012, I'm blogging the highlights of my daily read through the Bible. I'll plan to post 3 times a week. Remember, these are just my initial observations, questions and responses to my morning reading, not clearly thought out doctrinal positions. I'd love to hear from you about what God seems to be showing you in the text. Please leave a comment.
I am using the schedule in the back of my ESV Study Bible. There are a variety of excellent reading schedules you can find at www.esv.org.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
(Psalm 119:27 ESV)

Thursday, February 9, 2012

David, Esau, Abijah, and Stephen

Psalm 39
These sound like hard days for David. He's holding something in, about to explode, and then he does according to the end of v.3.
In vv.4-6 he's asking the Lord to enforce in his mind the brevity of life. Why? Is it to discourage the pursuit of foolish gain? Is this a don't sweat the silly stuff self talk? V.7, My hope is in you Lord. Vv.10-11 tell me this is a time of enduring God's discipline in David's life, coming via David's enemies. David is like, enough already Lord, your discipline is killing me.  What honesty with God. No doubt God can handle and welcomes the pouring out of my troubled heart.

Genesis 36 
Not a real exciting chapter. Esau's still taking wives from the Canaanites, a pagan people. This can't be good. We also see that Esau and Jacob can't live together because of their great wealth. I suppose a conflict because of expanding territories would be inevitable, and eventually they would battling over what belongs to whom. But I do find it sad, these brothers couldn't live in peace because they had to much stuff. We are surely going to see this again.


2 Chronicles 13
We are past the time of Solomon and David, and now we are reviewing the succession of the Kings of Judah. Here's Abijah in chapter 13, Solomon's grandson. He's having it out with Jerboam, King of the Northern Kingdom of Israel. In v.5, covenant of salt - what is that? My notes in my study Bible aren't real helpful here.
I appreciate Abijah's confidence in the Lord, in his pre-battle speech. Too bad the North didn't take heed - a civil war that cost half a million Israeli lives - really? Wow. I know there is some discussion about how the Hebrew numbers should be translated - need to learn more.
I am also thinking that in the Chronicles, the author is going easier on these Kings, then the Books of Kings do, lifting up more of what God was accomplishing by His grace through them, rather than highlighting their adultery and wickedness. I will keep an eye on this as we move toward the exile.

Acts 6.8-7.60
This is a huge section. The charges against Stephen and his death certainly recall the experiences of Jesus. Stephen is accused of speaking against the temple and the law - like Jesus. And then - talk about a sermon that didn't go over well. At the end they cry out, plug their ears, rush Stephen, cast him out and stone him. And wow - guess who is there watching it all.- Saul/Paul. Then Stephen is praying like Jesus did on the cross, except he is praying to Jesus - Lord Jesus receive my Spirit. I wonder if anyone was converted at the death of Stephen. Surely it made an  impression on Saul. What was it like when Saul and Stephen met in heaven? Stephen stoned for Christ - Paul decapitated for Christ.

Keep reading. God's Word is living and active and it will teach you and train you and correct you and rebuke you, making you ready and able to do God's work. Great job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment